Cleaning with a steam cleaner is the best way to clean and get rid of dirt, stains, and germs as well. But when it comes to hardwood floors, everyone got confused. If you are also facing this situation, and looking for an answer that can you use a steam mop on hardwood floors or not, this article will be a perfect guideline for you. Continue with us.
The short answer to that question is no, but you need to know more information. If the surface is unsealed hardwood floors, you can’t use a steam cleaner because there is a high possibility of rotting, warping, bending, and other damage. On the other side, if the floor is sealed, there is no problem with the floor. But it will be best if you use a low or medium setting. Here you will know everything about it.
Table of Contents
Is a steam mop safe for wood flooring?
A steam mop is a powerful tool for cleaning. It provides high temperatures that may not be safe for the hardwood floor. If you are using a steam mop on the unsealed hardwood floor, there is a high probability of damaging and voiding the warranty as well. If your floor is scaled, you should be careful when using a steam cleaner. Also, ensure that water is not too hot. Water at high pressure can break joints. So you can’t kill germs on the wood floor using a steam cleaner because it needs very hot water, and on the hardwood floor it’s not possible.
Will a Steam Mop Damage a Hardwood Floor?
The short answer is it depends. Hardwood can be two types; sealed and unsealed. If your floor is unsealed, the steam mop will damage the surface of the floor. It would be better if you never thought about it. If your floor is sealed, you can use steam mop but need to be careful about the capability of the surface. That’s why we suggest you ensure that the floor is sealed or not. If the floor is not sealed, and thinking of using a steam mop; you are going to damage the hardwood.
Also, there are many steam cleaners available in the market that can clean without water. It will remind the floor dry. According to the manufacturer’s recommendation, those are safe for wooden floors. Some manufacturers confirmed that their machine is reliable for this type of floor. Before buying the tool, you should have to choose the right one. Otherwise, there could be losses instead of profits.
How to Clean a Hardwood Floor?
Nowadays, many people love using hardwood on the surface. It’s easy to clean the floors. If you want to clean by steam mop to make it disinfect, your floor must be sealed. If you want them to last for many years, you have to maintain properly. Here are the guidelines for cleaning wooden floors.
- Sweeping the floor regularly is the best practice to clean wooden floors easily. If you sweep daily, then it will be easy to clean deeply. Otherwise, the surface will need a lot of time to remove dirt, sand, dust, crumbs, and hair.
- Before cleaning the floor, everyone has to monitors the current condition of the wood on the floor. Depending on the surface conditions of the floor, the temperature of the water should be calculated. In this case, the floor must be sealed and recommend by the manufacture.
- Also, it would help if you considered those factors to make cleaning perfect. Those are the age of the floor, condition of the hard-wood, sealed or unsealed wood floor, and type of the wood.
- Use a well-wrinkled twist like a brush made of cloth
- After cleaning, the floor needs to be dried. If there is carpet on the floor, lift it and wait for some time to dry because the water dries up quickly from the empty floor. If it takes too late to dry the floor, rub it with a well-wrinkled cloth made brush. After drying, bring your furniture on the floor. So always try to use a well-wrinkled twist like a brush made of cloth.
Things To Do While Cleaning Wooden Floor
If you use your hardwood floor properly, it will not be wasted easily. Some points are mentioned below so as not to cause any damage to the floor while cleaning.
- Clean the floor as soon as possible. It would be helpful to do the work easily and prevent permanent stains.
- The regular mop is perfect for a hardwood floor. So always try to clean with a regular mop; it will be safe.
- Do not use this type of carpet that is designed with a wavy cloth or thick cloth because water is stored inside these carpets, which can cause damage.
Things Should Avoid When Cleaning Hardwood Floor
If your floor is made of wood, you must adhere to the correct rules with caution. The other thing you should avoid is that your floor will not last long. So everyone should try to avoid these things. Here are the outlined below:
- Please do not use a steam cleaner on the hardwood floors because it’s not suitable for wooden.
- Do not put too much hot water or large quantities of heat on your floor. It will seriously damage. And such damage is often not possible to recover.
- Avoid using excess soap and water. If the surfaces of your house are not level, then they will cause damage by entering joints.
- Avoid using vinegar. According to the manufacturer, they are not suitable for wood floors.
- Not only steam cleaner, but you also should not use a steam mop on wood floorings.
It is very important to maintain your floor surfaces, and keep clean all times. If you can handle it properly, it will always be bright. Regular care will give a long time lasting. All you need to do is select the right method and perform the task. Surfaces which are made by hardwood are easier to clean because it doesn’t cost much money.